As a born and raised and current resident of the Chicago area, I technically belong in the “long suffering Chicago Bears Fan” group (1985’s Super Bowl XX aside). If there is one silver lining to come out of this year, it has to be our hometown hero, Jake Elliott, the Eagle’s kicker who’s rookie season can only be described as a Cinderella Story. Many of us in our tiny little suburb west of the city will be shouting “Fly Eagles Fly” next Sunday!
Super Bowl Sunday is also a day to celebrate food in the best of American traditions: chili, wings, nachos, beer. To that end, I’ve assembled some of my favorite recipes on the blog over the years. All well suited to a football cheering crowd. Or maybe you’re just in it for the commercials or the Puppy Bowl? No worries, these dishes go great with those as well.
Until next time…be well, eat well and love lots
- Weekend Slow Cooker Steak and Bean Chili – Chili and football: probably #1 food and sports pairing. Using steak instead of ground beef and slow cooking all day takes your chili to the next level. Just remember to unplug your slow cooker when done! (#ThisIsUs)
- Ultimate Chicken Enchiladas with Honey and Lime – Wow this dish was immensely popular on the blog and with good reason. It’s one of our favorites!
- Emeril’s Andouille and Chicken Jambalaya – my most recent blog post. Great make ahead dish that’s satisfying and economical!
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast Sandwiches with Swiss Cheese and Thyme Au Jus Absolutely delicious and easier to eat while cheering on your team
- Sweet Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup – The first sentence in my post describes this as “guy soup” but for sure this is for EVERYONE soup. Since this is one of my earlier blog posts, the photo is a bit dicey but trust me this soup is fantastic!
- Hummus with Parsley Oil and Pine Nuts – Ok, so not quite a traditional Super Bowl Sunday app but it’s such a crowd pleaser, I think it definitely deserves a place alongside your wings and guac 🙂